Sunday, 17 November 2013
Pens & notebook - for obvious reasons. Sometimes I'll take the little notebook you see in the picture and at others I'll cart around my big A4 notepad, depending on how much I feel like carrying.
Tissues and throat soothers - fresher's flu has just about passed by now, but it seems only to have gone away just in time for a round of winter colds. I know how distracting it can be to have someone coughing throughout the entire lecture, so I take these everywhere just in case. And the Kleenexes are useful for all sorts of things as well as coming in a super-pretty little packet.
Victorian novel - the one you see here is Bleak House, but I've now moved on to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. The reading is probably the most intense part of the course, and necessitates delving into Dickens whenever there's a spare moment, so I tend to take whatever I'm reading wherever I'm going.
Tinted lipbalm - despite finally becoming interested in make-up of late, there's now not much time for me to experiment with it! Or at least, I'm mostly too lazy to bother, so a dab of this on the way to and from places has to suffice on most days.
Newspapers - the bottom one is The Oxford Student, in which I've now had a fashion feature published! You can read it online if you so choose; it's an exploration of the morality of fashion houses in the wake of the D&G tax scandal. The paper on top is Cherwell, which is basically the intense rival of OxStu, but I read it anyway. In part this is to keep up with the competition, but it's also because they sometimes have cool features like interviews with Laura Bates and Tavi Gevinson.
Tuesday, 5 November 2013
Hello, is anyone still out there? I wouldn't be surprised if you'd all given up on me, considering it's now been over a month since my last post. I'm afraid today's post won't be much like my normal ones, more of an update; but never fear - I have a few ideas lined up which should be up in the next few weeks.
Since my last post:
- I've moved into my room at university, filling it with books, clothes and what is considered by most to be an inordinate amount of shoes.
- I've started getting involved with some cool clubs and societies around the university, including the Women's Campaign and taking up beginner's fencing. Plus I will soon be a published fashion writer for The Oxford Student!
- This post which I wrote as a follow-up to my comment on Galliano's temporary position at De La Renta has, inexplicably, become my second most-viewed post on this blog ever, and I can't work out for the life of me why. If you have any idea what could account for the influx of views please let me know.
- I discovered that White Russians are my favourite cocktail
- This happened while I was at the Oxford Union
- I finally caught up with the 21st century and got a phone which can go online! So if you're getting fed up with my lack of blog updates, make sure to follow me on Twitter where I'm far more active
- My wardrobe welcomed the addition of these wedge-boots (except mine are black) which I had previously been wary of, but have been a godsend on nights out when I want that extra bit of height without the pain of heels. Seriously, invest in some.
- I marathoned the whole of Channel 4's London Irish to celebrate finishing an essay. If you're in the UK I highly recommend catching up on 4oD while you still can. Also in the comedy stakes, I loved The Wrong Mans which is worth catching too if you missed it. It seems like a good time for comedy all round.
- I've dressed up as a schoolgirl, a suffragette, and an evil queen.
- Oh and this morning I managed to fall over and graze my lip, so no lipstick for me for a few days!
That's about it for now. Watch this space for proper posts coming soon!